God's Word

God so loved the world that he gave his one and only son that whoever believes in him will not die but have everlasting life. John 3:16

09 April 2011

Government shut down

I was recently appalled to learn that the government might shut down.  FYI my husband is a government engineer and a soldier.  So, this potential shut down scared my socks off. Everything we relied on might be gone.  The main reason I was scared is because we're not prepared.  I disobeyed God. I got in debt, bought things I didn't need, sought the things of the world instead of the things of God.  So, I made my own bed, and if the governement shut down I'd be laying in it.  I was doing those things is relative ignorance.  Not total ignorance, but partial.  I was raised in a family that had little money but my mom knew how to take care of it.  Same for my step-dad who came along later.  I didn't really see them do budgets or save money or pay cash for things, so I didn't really understand much.  But, I did know about living within my means.  I just didn't really want to.  I thought budgets were for people who don't have enough money.  I thought people with money didn't need to worry about it. And I wanted to have things and I didn't want to worry about it.  I didn't think getting in debt was a big deal, after all, nearly everyone I know is in debt. However, if I'd been familiar with my Bible at the time, I'd have known what God's word says about debt - Proverbs 22:7  The rich rule over the poor, and the borrower is slave to the lender.   It doesn't get much more plain that that.  So, in January, me and my husband knew we had to do something, be were weren't sure how.  Fortunately, our church began a Dave Ramsey Financial Peace University class.  We joined it, and I am SO glad we did.  The mud was cleaned off and our eyes were opened. We "graduated" last week, but just because we "graduated" doesn't mean we're done.  It's like a healthy lifestyle, you're never "done."  You just keep learning and growing.  So, we're on our way to getting out of debt and having emergency savings and not being slaves to the lenders anymore.  The only one I want to be a slave to is God!  So, I'm on my way, but I am NOT ready for my husband to be out of work!  That's a bit too much!  So, I will keep working  with "gazelle" intensity - Proverbs 6:5 - Free yourself, like a gazelle from the hand of the hunter, like a bird from the snare of the fowler.  Praise the Lord for second chances and grace beyond my imagination!!!

If you're in debt, like the majority of the population,  I pray you'll take a Financial Peace University Class near you!  Or do it online yourself.  It is worth the time and money!  http://www.daveramsey.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment